PREPAREDNESS AND THE SCRIPTURES
There are several examples of preparedness in the scriptures:
1. Noah (Genesis 6-8) - Noah had to take enough food for his family and the animals to last a year plus the time until the next harvest.
2. Joseph of Egypt (Genesis 41) - Joseph directed the storing of grain during seven plenteous years to be used during seven years of famine.
3. Moroni, chief commander of the armies of the Nephites (Alma 49:27-50:1) Moroni was successful in defending the cities of Ammonihah and Noah against the Lamanites because he prepared them to be secure. Even after the Lamanites retreated, he continued preparations of defense. “…Moroni had kept the commandments of God in preparing for the safety of his people…And now it came to pass that Moroni did not stop making preparations…to defend his people…”
4. Nephi, son of Helaman (Helaman 11) - Nephi prayed for a famine to stop war in the land. Famine lasted for three years. Many died "in the more wicked parts of the land." Nephi and his brother Lehi and, we assume, their families survived. Indications would be that the people had a storage program because they did not have forewarning such as Joseph of Egypt. The famine began in the year it was prayed for.
5. The Nephites governed by Lachoneus (3 Nephi 3-4) - By request of the governor, Lachoneus, the Nephites were directed to gather to Zarahemla in order to battle the Gadianton robbers as one body. They "reserved for themselves provisions, and horses and cattle, and flocks of every kind, that they might subsist for the space of seven years." As a result, “it was impossible for the robbers to lay siege sufficiently long to have any effect upon the Nephites, because of their much provision which they had laid up in store.”
“But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.” I Timothy 5:8
“...do ye suppose that the Lord will still deliver us, while we sit upon our thrones and do not make use of the means which the Lord has provided for us?” Alma 60:21
“By faith, Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet,…,prepared an ark to the saving of his house…” Hebrews 11:7
“Organize yourselves; prepare very needful thing…” D&C 88:119
“Thou shalt be diligent in preserving what thou hast, that thou mayest be a wise steward;...” D&C 136:27
“Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.” Proverbs 6:6-8
“There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.” Proverbs 21:20
“For if you will that I give unto you a place in the celestial world, you must prepare yourselves by doing the things which I have commanded you and required of you.” D&C 78:7
“And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?” Luke 6: 46
“Prepare ye, prepare ye for that which is to come, for the Lord is nigh:” D&C 1:12
“...if ye are prepared ye shall not fear.” D&C 38:30
“Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal...” D&C 29:34
“...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” I Nephi 3:7
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.